“Thanks for giving me the opportunity to work with a great group of volunteers; I have really enjoyed giving my time helping out in the local community. You have helped me build my confidence by giving me some structure and focus which I know has helped me in getting full time employment.”
Volunteer who has been successful with employment
FareShare South West relies upon the generous support of volunteers to help run the service and we simply could not operate without this vital support.
Who can volunteer?
We welcome applications from all sectors of the community. You might be unemployed, in the Sixth Form, retired, or be in full or part time work. Want to know more? Please contact us by emailing [email protected] or read the information sheet and complete the application form.
What vacancies do we have?
- Warehouse volunteers – This involves sorting the food into sizeable portions for projects, picking the food from orders for projects and helping to keep our warehouse clean and tidy. We also need drivers, to drive our vans to collect and deliver food and also driver’s mates to go out on the vans with drivers. We need volunteers both for day and evening shifts.
- Bike Delivery volunteer – This involves delivering and collecting food using an electric bike and a refrigerated trailer.
- Campaign Leader – This involves developing and researching a campaigning strategy in accordance with our aims and objectives. We need someone with experience and knowledge of positive campaigning.
- Education Programme Volunteer – This involves assisting our Education Manager with building relationships in schools and colleges. It will also involve attending events and running workshops. We need people with good communication skills, who can work as part of a team but also on their own initiative.
- Representatives – This involves attending events and representing FareShare South West. It could include setting up stalls, networking, helping with fundraising and providing information about us.
- Networker – This involves developing our relationships with outside organisations and bodies who share our aims and objectives.
- Trusts researcher/fundraiser – This involves identifying and researching Trusts and foundations who can provide us with valuable and essential funding to further our work. It could also involve helping to write funding bids. We need volunteers with good numeracy and literacy skills who have experience of research and can work on their own initiative.
What do you need from me?
- If volunteering in the warehouse, you will need to be able to commit yourself to at least one shift (half day) per fortnight. Otherwise we can be flexible – the more regular time you can give us, the greater the benefit and the more you will get out of your time with us!
- Commitment to equal opportunities, adherence to the corporate policies of FareShare and recognition of the need for confidentiality are all essential.
- All volunteers need to be able to follow procedures, especially relating to food hygiene
What’s in it for me?
- The chance to give practical help to improve the diet of disadvantaged people.
- The opportunity to be part of a great team of individuals and use your skills!
- Experience which you can add to your CV and a reference from us.
- Full training.
- The chance to engage in accredited training, get employment advice and coaching.
- Reimbursement of reasonable expenses (up to £4 for travel).
- Helping the environment by reducing waste and CO2 emissions.
What do I do next?
Complete the application form, send it to us at:
Fareshare South West
Little Ann Street
Or email it to us at [email protected]
We will be in touch to discuss what you can offer us and what we can offer you!
No specific experience is needed to volunteer – just bring what you do, to what we do – together we can make tomorrow a better day for thousands of people in the South West.