“Thanks for giving me the opportunity to work with a great group of volunteers; I have really enjoyed giving my time helping out in the local community. You have helped me build my confidence by giving me some structure and focus which I know has helped me in getting full time employment.”
Volunteer who has been successful with employment
FareShare South West relies upon the generous support of volunteers to help run the service and we simply could not operate without this vital support.
Who can volunteer?
We welcome applications from all sectors of the community. You might be unemployed, in the Sixth Form, retired, or be in full or part time work. Want to know more? Please contact us by emailing [email protected] or read the information sheet and complete the application form.
What vacancies do we have?
- Warehouse volunteers – This involves sorting the food into sizeable portions for projects, picking the food from orders for projects and helping to keep our warehouse clean and tidy. We also need drivers, to drive our vans to collect and deliver food and also driver’s mates to go out on the vans with drivers. We need volunteers both for day and evening shifts.
- Bike Delivery volunteer – This involves delivering and collecting food using an electric bike and a refrigerated trailer.
- Stock Control volunteer - This role would suit a person experienced in stock control. We need someone to carry out daily stock checks manually and using our online management system, oversee food being stored in our fridges and liaise with other volunteers and staff.
- Events volunteer – This involves attending events and representing FareShare South West. It could include setting up stalls, stewarding, networking, helping with fundraising and providing information about us. Also working for our catering events with food preparation, serving or front of house.
What do you need from me?
- If volunteering in the warehouse, you will need to be able to commit yourself to at least one shift (half day) per fortnight. Otherwise we can be flexible – the more regular time you can give us, the greater the benefit and the more you will get out of your time with us!
- Commitment to equal opportunities, adherence to the corporate policies of FareShare and recognition of the need for confidentiality are all essential.
- All volunteers need to be able to follow procedures, especially relating to food hygiene
What’s in it for me?
- The chance to give practical help to improve the diet of disadvantaged people.
- The opportunity to be part of a great team of individuals and use your skills!
- Experience which you can add to your CV and a reference from us.
- Full training.
- The chance to engage in accredited training, get employment advice and coaching.
- Reimbursement of reasonable expenses (up to £4 for travel).
- Helping the environment by reducing waste and CO2 emissions.
What do I do next?
Complete the application form, send it to us at:
Fareshare South West
Little Ann Street
Or email it to us at [email protected]
We will be in touch to discuss what you can offer us and what we can offer you!
No specific experience is needed to volunteer – just bring what you do, to what we do – together we can make tomorrow a better day for thousands of people in the South West.